Friday, September 15, 2017

CAS Watercolour September 2017 - Silhouette

Hello friends.  This months challenge over at CAS Watercolour is all about using a SILHOUETTE on your card.


I took a class a few weeks back at my local stamp store and learned a new way of "smooshing" that I have totally fallen in love with!  Usually when you "smoosh", you put your ink down on a craft mat, spritz it with water, and then "smoosh" your cardstock down into it and more or less end up with a surprise when you turn it over.  The way I learned at class gives you a little more control on where your color goes, which is great for control freaks like me!


I started by masking off the edges of my water color cardstock and then started from the top down adding color one section at a time.  You take a smaller piece of acetate and smoosh your ink onto it (my first color was Stormy Sky Distress Ink), spritz with water, and then carefully turn it upside down and "smoosh" it onto your cardstock.  Because the acetate is clear, you can see where you are adding the color!  Used my heat tool to dry my top section and then added Scattered Straw Distress Ink to my acetate, spritzed, and "smooshed" the middle layer.  I repeated the process with Tea Dye Distress Ink for the bottom layer, and when dry, removed my masking around the edges and then stamped my image.  I used an older Penny Black stamp from 2006 (wood mounted of course!) called Asters for my silhouette with Versafine Onyx Black ink, and then added some foam to the back before mounting to a white card base.   I embossed my sentiment (PTI's Keep It Simple: Sympathy) in black on some vellum so you could still see the watercolours and the silhouette.  This "smooshing" technique is a lot of fun and very addictive, so for all you control people out there, I urge you to give this technique a try!

For this card I watercoloured ("smooshed"), stamped, & embossed.

There are SO many BEAUTIFUL cards from the DT and in the gallery to inspire you this month, and the challenge is open till the 24th, so check it out and play along right HERE.

Thanks so much for stopping by today...I love it when you do!


7 comments:

Ros Crawford said...

Oh what gorgeous colours! That class sure paid off this is a beauty!

Loll said...

Love the colours of your acetate smooshed background, Marcia!! Beautiful with the stamped silhouette and vellum sentiment banner. Thanks for sharing with us at CAS Watercolour! xx

Bonnie said...

This is beautiful, Marcia! I've tried smooshing with acetate but didn't get these fantastic results. You have inspired me to try again! Love that silhouette and the sentiment stamped on the vellum! Thanks so much for sharing this with us at CAS Watercolour!

nancy littrell said...

I have smooshed using acrylic blocks, but not one color at a time. TFS your acetate stamping technique and your beautiful card with your watercoloured smooshing background and silhouette stamped flowers and vellum sentiment. So pleased you joined us at CAS Watercolour. Hugs..

Greta said...

Beautifully done, Marcia--perfect for a sympathy card!

Christine Alexander said...

Great technique for smooshing, I love the control of colour. Your silhouette flowers look wonderful. Thanks for joining us at CAS Watercolour.

Susan said...

What a beautiful silhouette! Perfect against your smooshed background! Love the way you did the sentiment. Thanks so much for joining us at CAS Watercolour!