Saturday, December 14, 2013

Make it Monday #144 - Heat Embossing Vellum

Hello friends.  Was going through card withdrawl this week and needed a couple winter birthday cards, so decided to play along with this weeks Make it Monday over at Papertrey Ink.  Melissa Phillips did a fantastic job with her tutorial and card, and I learned some great tips!  I never thought about putting a simple design paper behind my vellum to add some more visual interest and how to add glue behind more solid stamped images when attaching your vellum!  Anyway, here's what I came up with for my card:


I used PTI's "Winter Hills" stamp set and because I don't own any colored embossing powders, I colored my image with some of my Copics, and then embossed the same image on vellum with white embossing powder and layered that over my stamped image.  Here's a closer up view:


I used Melissa's tip and put glue behind the farmhouse, the barn, and the tree's to attach the vellum to the stamped image and it worked perfectly...NO glue spots showing through!! :0)  I also added a layer of vellum over my design paper (flip side of Eskimo Kisses) and embossed the birthday sentiment in silver.  I added a couple strips of scrap design paper on the side and was able to use my adhesive behind these to attach the vellum without the dreaded show through glue spots here too!  I finished off the card by adding a Fancy Flakes snowflake (PTI) and a snowflake embellishment from SU!, and lastly a seam binding ribbon in Real Red.

Hope you're enjoying your weekend...we're digging out again from more snow! Have a wonderful rest of your weekend! :0)  

4 comments:

Marybeth said...

Marcia, this is STUNNING!!!! You know this is one of my favorite stamp set and I LOVE what you did here. I can't wait to try one like this....
Our weather is unbelievably gorgeous out I think almost 80 with a slight breezes do full sun.....sorry! Stay warm. Thank you for your very kind words...it means a lot to me. hugs

Carolanne said...

This this is just beautiful!!! What a great idea. The image looks like it's been painted with icing. I am going to have to try this. We just got a little icy rain but have had snow. Good crafting weather :-)

Nancy Penir said...

Marcia, this is so lovely, must get out this stamp set and color it like yours! LOVE every little detail, the sweet gingham edging, the snowflake medallion, so warm and inviting.

Connie MacFarlane said...

Great job Marcia, your card is so pretty.