Monday, March 11, 2013

Winter Wishes

Good morning friends.  Hope you all had a wonderful weekend?!  We had a bridal shower for my daughter yesterday, and it was so much fun to watch the excitement on her face through all the festivities.  Hard to believe my little girl is going to be a married lady in just a short time!! 

Today I am sharing a card for the Festive Friday Challenge (FFC03), and this challenge is to incorporate a snowflake into your card.  Not a problem for me as I LOVE snowflakes!  I really liked the picture used as inspiration for this challenge too:


This is the very first photograph of a real snowflake ever taken, and as tired of snow as I am, I can't help but appreciate the beauty and symetry of this icy beauty!  While silver would be the most logical color choice for my card, I ended up using golds and browns because of the "vintage" Santa stamp I used.  Take a look:


Again I apologize for the lighting in this photo, but it is still winter here in Michigan! (if you click on the photo to enlarge it, you'll be able to see a lot more of the detail and the glittery snowflake) And while it may not be time for Santa, I loved using this stamp for this challenge because of the snowflakes in his beard!  I started the card with a base of kraft card stock, and embossed it with SU!'s "Northern Flurry" embossing folder.  I sponged over the snowflakes with SU!'s Soft Seude ink to define them a bit more and add to the vintage feel.  I then added a couple strips of designer paper (The Paper Studio) before adding the main image of Santa (Rubber Stampede - "Santa Collage").  He was stamped on kraft with Soft Seude ink and layered with SU!'s Cherry Cobbler card stock.  The sentiment at the bottom is PTI's "fillable Frames #9, and the snowflake at the top is American Crafts POW glitter paper in antique gold and cut out with a Spellbinders snowflake die.  I added a red button and some twine to the center of the snowflake and called it good! :0)

Thanks for stopping by today and I hope you all have a wonderful Monday!  

4 comments:

Geri said...

Oh, it's ALWAYS time for Santa at FF, Marcia!!!;) (Let's not offend anyone...you know he's always watching!!!) Seriously, that image could not be more perfect with the snowflakes swirling in his beard! And your color choices are perfect for him and your embellishments/embossing...Especially the glittered snowflake! BEAUTIFUL card!!! So happy you've joined us again!!!

Unknown said...

I was so excited when I found this santa stamp last fall. Thanks for another idea for using it again!

carol (krillsister) said...

Beautiful card. You have so many great elements on it. Love that image of Santa.

Meredith MacRitchie said...

Oh, what a beautiful card! I love the colors you chose and I LOVE the snowflakes in in his beard! I didn't know it was the first photo of a snowflake, I just knew it was very old. How fun to learn! Thanks for playing with us, I hope we'll see you for the next one!